SOURCE: LANG SON, VIETNAM
We source our star anise from forest villages in Vietnam’s northern mountain region. Lang Son is the center of this region and is prized as the kingdom of star anise. Families from the surrounding villages forage the star anise flowers twice a year, in August and January.
The result is three products we offer: sorted star anise, broken pieces, and larges. Broken are best for grinding and blending. Please note, the larges are really beautiful full stars but do not fit into a standard 4 oz. spice jar.
• Harvest Time: December and July
- Mixed (unsorted)
- Premium (sorted to remove smalls, bigs, malformed, off colors, and brokens)
- Larges (beautiful stars, but will not fit in standard 4 oz. spice jar)
• Production: Grows naturally in the forest of Lang Son
• Water activity <0.80 • Molds <0.01%
• Foreign Matter <0.01% WHY IT’S SPECIAL
• Sustainably foraged
• Sorted, more consistent unbroken, beautiful stars
• Single Origin / Farmer Direct
• Supports farmers in Vietnam
• Very clean
• In Vietnam cuisine, star anise is indispensable in a pot of “Phở” broth.
• Please make arrangements for larger volume orders prior to harvest in June and December.